Puji Budi Setia Asih
Research Fellow, Laboratory Head
- B.Sc (Hons) (University of Indonesia)
- Ph.D (Cum Laude) (University of Indonesia)
She is a research fellow and currently the head of Malaria and vector resistance Unit. She was trained in biology and completed her BSc (hons) degree in 1999 in University of Indonesia. She earned her doctoral degree with Cum Laude in 2010 with dissertation entitled “molecular basis of chloroquine resistance in vivax malaria”. She has continually pursued her career in science since then and involved in several research projects such as: molecular mechanisms underlying Plasmodium resistance to antimalarial drugs, and antimalarial drug discovery through medicinal plants.
- Molecular mechanisms underlying Plasmodium resistance to antimalarial drugs
- Molecular mechanisms underlying malaria vector resistance to insecticides
- Antimalarial drug discovery through medicinal plants
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Science Prize for Innovation, Research and Education (Aspire) Award Nominee from Indonesia (2012)
- Travel Award ASTMH 57th, New Orleans, USA, from American Association of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (2008)
- Collaboration and Development Award, from British High Commission, British Government (2008)
- The Netherlands Foundation for the advancement of Tropical Research and the Netherlands Foundation for Health Research and Development Poverty Related Infection Oriented Research (PRIOR Program) for malaria control in Indonesia (2006-2009)
- The best participant at International Workshop: Plasmodium vivax in vitro Culture Techniques, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Thailand, Sponsored by NIH, USA-Fogatry International (2006)
- Using barrier screens to characterize mosquito composition, flight activity, and abdominal status in South Lampung, Indonesia.
Parasit Vectors. 2018 Jul 31;11(1):440. doi: 10.1186/s13071-018-3031-1.
- Molecular phylogeny of Blastocystis isolates from wild rodents captured in Indonesia and Japan.
Parasitol Res. 2018 Sep;117(9):2841-2846. doi: 10.1007/s00436-018-5973-9. Epub 2018 Jul 2.
- Comparative evaluation of anopheline sampling methods in three localities in Indonesia.
Malar J. 2018 Jan 8;17(1):13. doi: 10.1186/s12936-017-2161-9.
- Evaluation of antiplasmodial properties of a cyanobacterium, Spirulina platensis and its mechanism of action.
Nat Prod Res. 2017 Aug 2:1-4. doi: 10.1080/14786419.2017.1360880.
- Differential expression of several drug transporter genes in HepG2 and Huh-7 cell lines.
Adv Biomed Res. 2016 Jun 8;5:104. doi: 10.4103/2277-9175.183664. eCollection 2016.
- A zoonotic human infection with simian malaria, Plasmodium knowlesi, in Central Kalimantan, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2016 Apr 16;15(1):218.
- Molecular survey of Blastocystis sp. from humans and associated animals in an Indonesian community with poor hygiene.
Parasitol Int. 2016 Apr 11. pii: S1383-5769(16)30038-1. doi: 10.1016/j.parint.2016.03.010.
- Distribution of Voltage-Gated Sodium Channel (Nav) Alleles among the Aedes aegypti Populations In Central Java Province and Its Association with Resistance to Pyrethroid Insecticides.
PLoS One. 2016 Mar 3;11(3):e0150577. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0150577. eCollection 2016.
- Performance of four HRP-2/pLDH combination rapid diagnostic tests and field microscopy as screening tests for malaria in pregnancy in Indonesia: a cross-sectional study.
Malar J. 2015 Oct 29;14(1):420. doi: 10.1186/s12936-015-0943-5.
- Distribution of Plasmodium vivax pvdhfr and pvdhps alleles and their association with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine treatment outcomes in Indonesia.
Malar J. 2015 Sep 22;14(1):365. doi: 10.1186/s12936-015-0903-0.
- Molecular characterization of various trichomonad species isolated from humans and related mammals in Indonesia.
Korean J Parasitol. 2014 Oct;52(5):471-8. doi: 10.3347/kjp.2014.52.5.471. Epub 2014 Oct 22.
- Progress towards malaria elimination in Sabang Municipality, Aceh, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2013 Jan 30;12:42. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-12-42.
- The baseline distribution of malaria in the initial phase of elimination in Sabang Municipality, Aceh Province, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2012 Aug 21;11:291. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-11-291.
- Existence of the rdl mutant alleles among the anopheles malaria vector in Indonesia.
Malar J. 2012 Feb 25;11:57. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-11-57.
- Phenotyping clinical resistance to chloroquine in Plasmodium vivax in northeastern Papua, Indonesia.
Int J Parasitol Drugs Drug Resist. 2011 Oct 5;1(1):28-32. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpddr.2011.08.001. eCollection 2011 Dec.
- Detection of 1014F kdr mutation in four major Anopheline malaria vectors in Indonesia.
Malar J. 2010 Nov 8;9:315. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-9-315.
- Increased serum hepcidin and alterations in blood iron parameters associated with asymptomatic P. falciparum and P. vivax malaria.
Haematologica. 2010 Jul;95(7):1068-74. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2009.019331. Epub 2010 Feb 4.
- Seasonal distribution of anti-malarial drug resistance alleles on the island of Sumba, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2009 Sep 29;8:222. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-8-222.
- Quantitative determination of Plasmodium vivax gametocytes by real-time quantitative nucleic acid sequence-based amplification in clinical samples.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009 Aug;81(2):366-9.
- Efficacy of artemisinin-based combination therapy for treatment of persons with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in West Sumba District, East Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia, and genotypic profiles of the parasite.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009 Jun;80(6):914-8.
- ADAMTS13 deficiency with elevated levels of ultra-large and active von Willebrand factor in P. falciparum and P. vivax malaria.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009 Mar;80(3):492-8.
- Seasonal prevalence of malaria in West Sumba district, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2009 Jan 9;8:8. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-8-8.
- The effects of docosahexaenoic acid-rich fish oil on behavior, school attendance rate and malaria infection in school children--a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial in Lampung, Indonesia.
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008;17(2):258-63.
- Malaria prevalence in Nias District, North Sumatra Province, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2007 Aug 30;6:116.
- Malaria in Wanokaka and Loli sub-districts, West Sumba District, East Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006 May;74(5):733-7.
- Antimalarial activity of cassane- and norcassane-type diterpenes from Caesalpinia crista and their structure-activity relationship.
Biol Pharm Bull. 2006 May;29(5):1050-2.
- Cassane- and norcassane-type diterpenes from Caesalpinia crista of Indonesia and their antimalarial activity against the growth of Plasmodium falciparum.
J Nat Prod. 2005 May;68(5):706-10.
- Molecular epidemiology of Plasmodium falciparum resistance to antimalarial drugs in Indonesia.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005 Feb;72(2):174-81.
- Frequency distribution of antimalarial drug-resistant alleles among isolates of Plasmodium falciparum in Purworejo district, Central Java Province, Indonesia.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003 Dec;69(6):614-20.
- Molecular basis of antimalarial drug resistance in Indonesia.
Adv Exp Med Biol. 2003;531:103-15.