David Handojo Muljono
Academy Professor Indonesia, Senior Research Fellow, Specialist Physician
- PhD. [Jichi Medical University, Japan]
- Sp.PD. (FRCP equiv) [Airlangga University, Indonesia]
- M.D. [Airlangga University, Indonesia]
Professor David Handojo Muljono, MD, PhD, born in Magelang (Central Java), 1954, is a specialist clinician who also works in the arena of basic biomedical research. He was graduated as Medical Doctor and had further Specialist Training at Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia, and secured PhD in virology of hepatitis in Jichi Medical University, Japan. He joined the Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology in Jakarta in 1995 as the head of the hepatitis unit, and has been carrying out basic and translational researches in viral hepatitis. Currently, he is the Deputy Director of the Eijkman Institute in Translational Research. He is also actively involved in national and international activities targeted to public health in the prevention and control of viral hepatitis and emerging diseases.
In his career, he was the recipient of Ronpaku Award (Gold Medal) from The Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science/JSPS in 2000; Ksatria Bakti Husada Kartika,( the highest recognition or contribution to National Health Program) from the Indonesian Minister of health in 2011; Satya Lencana Karya Bakti Award (recognition in Civil Service to the community) from the President of Republic of Indonesia in 2013.
On July 1, 2011, Professor Muljono was awarded the title Academy Professor in Life Science by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) and the Indonesian Academy of Sciences (AIPI). On 30 November 2011, Professor Muljono was inaugurated as the Academy Professor Indonesia in Hasanuddin University, Makassar, which is the host university where he is considered as Guru Besar Luar Biasa. He was also awarded the title Honorary Professor from Sydney Medical School in September 2014. As an academician, he has supervised Post-Graduate Students (Clinical, Master and PhD programs) from Indonesia as well as other countries. He also serves as the Chairman of Expert Committee in Viral Hepatitis – Ministry of Health, Advisor in Viral Hepatitis to the Director of the Southeast Regional Office of WHO, and since 2013 assigned as a member of the Strategic and Technical Advisory Committee for Viral Hepatitis (STAC-Hep) to the Director General of WHO, Geneva.
- Ie SI, Turyadi, Sidarta E, Sadhewa A, Purnomo GA, Soedarmono YSM, Pattiiha MZ, Thedja MD, Harahap AR, Muljono DH. High prevalence of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection in young adults in Ternate, Eastern Indonesia. Am J Trop Med Hyg (Submitted 5 Mei 2015).
- Thedja MD, Muljono DH, Ie SI, Sidarta E, Turyadi, Verhoef J, Marzuki S. Genogeography and immune epitope characteristics of hepatitis B virus genotype C reveals two distinct types: Asian and Papua-Pacific. PLoS One 2015 (Accepted).
- Darmawan E, Turyadi, El Khobar KE, Nursanty NKD, Thedja MD, Muljono DH. Occult hepatitis B in young adults in Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan, Indonesia. J Med Virol, 2015 Feb; 87(2); 199-207; DOI: 10.1002/jmv.24045.
- Gunardi H, Zaimi LF, Soedjatmiko, Turyadi, Harahap AR, Muljono DH. Current Prevalence of Hepatitis B Infection among Parturient Women in Jakarta, Indonesia. Acta Med Indonesiana. 2014 Jan; 46(1): 3-9.
- Chalid MT and Muljono DH. Vertical transmission of hepatitis B virus, the role of placental barrier, modes of delivery, viral loss, and immunoprophylaxis of neonates. In: Grob U and Wydra K. Eds. Maternal-Child Health – Interdisciplinary Aspects within the Perspective of Global Health. Kreuzbergring, Göttingen: Göttingen International Health Network 2013. pp. 245-256.
- Turyadi, Thedja MD, Ie SI, Harahap AR, El-Khobar KE, Roni M, Muljono DH. HBsAg, HBeAg and HBV DNA level changes and precore/basal core promoter mutations in the natural history of chronic hepatitis B in Indonesian patients. Hepatol Int 2013; 7:969-80; DOI 10.1007/s12072-013-9438-z.
- Png E, Thalamuthu A, Ong RTH, Snippe H, Sudoyo H, Muljono DH, Marzuki S, Boland GJ, Seielstad M. Genetic determinants of hepatitis B vaccine response. BMC Proceedings 2011; 5 (Suppl 1): O3.
- Ozdemir V, Muljono DH, Pang T, Ferguson LR, Manamperi, Samper S, Someya T, Tassé AM, Tsai SJ, Zhou HH, Lee EJD. Asia-Pacific Health 2020 and Genomics without Borders: Co-Production of Knowledge by Science and Society Partnership for Global Personalized Medicine. Curr Pharmacogenomics Person Med 2011; 9(1): 1-5.
- Thedja MD, Muljono DH, Nurainy N, Sukowati CH, Verhoef J, Marzuki S. Ethnogeographical structure of hepatitis B virus genotype distribution in Indonesia. Arch Virol 2011; 156:855-68; DOI: 10.1007/s00705-011-0926-y.
- Ie SI, Thedja MD, Roni M, Muljono DH. Prediction of Conformational Changes by Single Mutation in the Hepatitis B Virus Surface Antigen (HBsAg) Identified in HBsAg-Negative Blood Donors. Virol J. 2010; 7: 326.
- Thedja MD, Roni M, Harahap AR, Siregar NC, Ie SI, Muljono DH. Occult hepatitis B in blood donors in Indonesia: altered antigenicity of the hepatitis B virus surface protein. Hepatol Int 2010; 4: 608–14; DOI: 10.1007/s12072-010-9203-5.
- Nurainy N, Muljono DH, Sudoyo H, and Marzuki S. Genetic Study of Hepatitis B Virus in Indonesia Reveals A New Subgenotype of Genotype B in East Nusa Tenggara. Arch Virol 2008; 153: 1057-65.
- Hepatitis B virus infection in children of HBV-related chronic liver disease patients: a study of intra-familial HBV transmission. Hepatol Int. 2017 Jan;11(1):96-104. doi: 10.1007/s12072-016-9764-z. Epub 2016 Sep 13.
- Primer development to obtain complete coding sequence of HA and NA genes of influenza A/H3N2 virus. BMC Res Notes. 2016 Aug 30;9(1):423. doi: 10.1186/s13104-016-2235-8.
- Significance of hepatitis virus infection in the oncogenic initiation of hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan 28;22(4):1497-512. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v22.i4.1497.
- Chronic hepatitis B in pregnant women: is hepatitis B surface antigen quantification useful for viral load prediction? Int J Infect Dis. 2015 Dec;41:83-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2015.11.002. Epub 2015 Nov 10.
- Strategies to manage hepatitis C virus infection disease burden - volume 3. J Viral Hepat. 2015 Dec;22 Suppl 4:42-65. doi: 10.1111/jvh.12474.
- The present and future disease burden of hepatitis C virus infections with today's treatment paradigm - volume 3. J Viral Hepat. 2015 Dec;22 Suppl 4:21-41. doi: 10.1111/jvh.12476.
- Historical epidemiology of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in select countries - volume 3. J Viral Hepat. 2015 Dec;22 Suppl 4:4-20. doi: 10.1111/jvh.12475.
- High Prevalence of Hepatitis B Virus Infection in Young Adults in Ternate, Eastern Indonesia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015 Dec 9;93(6):1349-55. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.15-0331. Epub 2015 Sep 21.
- The multiple origin of cancer stem cells in hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2015 Sep;39 Suppl 1:S92-7. doi: 10.1016/j.clinre.2015.05.011. Epub 2015 Jul 15.
- Genogeography and Immune Epitope Characteristics of Hepatitis B Virus Genotype C Reveals Two Distinct Types: Asian and Papua-Pacific. PLoS One. 2015 Jul 10;10(7):e0132533. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0132533. eCollection 2015.
- Seroepidemiology and occult hepatitis B virus infection in young adults in Banjarmasin, Indonesia. J Med Virol. 2015 Feb;87(2):199-207. doi: 10.1002/jmv.24045. Epub 2014 Dec 8.