Principal Investigator, Senior Research Fellow
- PhD (Monash University, Australia)
- MSc (University of Indonesia, Indonesia)
- MD (University of Indonesia, Indonesia)
Herawati is the Deputy for Fundamental Research of Eijkman Institute. She is also the head of Forensic DNA Laboratory and Principal Investigator at Genome Diversity and Diseases Laboratory. She specializes on mitochondria DNA as a powerful genetic markers for population studies. She has specific interests on fundamental information concerning the formation of functional mitochondrial in order to understand mitochondrial diseases and its diagnostic and therapeutic implications. Herawati also has big passion on studying the genetic diversity of Indonesian populations, particularly on its association with disease resistance and susceptibility as well as tracing human migration. Her research team is dubbed "Gene Hunter" and has been collecting samples from many places throughout the archipelago, including very remote areas. Using DNA markers, Herawati also played significant role in perpetrator identification of the 2004 Australian Embassy bombing case which subsequently led her to establish the Forensic DNA Laboratory in Eijkman Institute. She also initiates research on Indonesian wildlife forensics and population studies.
Herawati is an active member of various local and international organization, consortium, and scientific panel on forensics DNA, biorisk and biosafety, human genetics, and molecular biology network.
Herawati is an Honorary Associate Professor from Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, Australia.
- Energy-transducing membrane and complex diseases
- Human genome diversity and disease epidemiology
- DNA forensics
- Indihome Woman Awards Category Scientist & Technologist (2014)
- Habibie Award (2008)
- Australian Alumni Award of Scientific and Research Innovation (2008)
- Wing Kehormatan Kedokteran Kepolisian (2007)
- The last sea nomads of the Indonesian archipelago: genomic origins and dispersal. Eur J Hum Genet. 2017 Aug;25(8):1004-1010. doi: 10.1038/ejhg.2017.88. Epub 2017 May 17.
- Genomic analyses inform on migration events during the peopling of Eurasia. Nature. 2016 Oct 13;538(7624):238-242. doi: 10.1038/nature19792. Epub 2016 Sep 21.
- Malagasy Genetic Ancestry Comes from an Historical Malay Trading Post in Southeast Borneo. Mol Biol Evol. 2016 Sep;33(9):2396-400. doi: 10.1093/molbev/msw117. Epub 2016 Jul 5.
- Small Traditional Human Communities Sustain Genomic Diversity over Microgeographic Scales despite Linguistic Isolation. Mol Biol Evol. 2016 Sep;33(9):2273-84. doi: 10.1093/molbev/msw099. Epub 2016 Jun 7.
- Contrasting Linguistic and Genetic Origins of the Asian Source Populations of Malagasy. Sci Rep. 2016 May 18;6:26066. doi: 10.1038/srep26066.
- A zoonotic human infection with simian malaria, Plasmodium knowlesi, in Central Kalimantan, Indonesia. Malar J. 2016 Apr 16;15(1):218.
- Randomized trial of primaquine hypnozoitocidal efficacy when administered with artemisinin-combined blood schizontocides for radical cure of Plasmodium vivax in Indonesia. BMC Med. 2015 Dec 11;13(1):294. doi: 10.1186/s12916-015-0535-9.
- Allele frequency data for 15 autosomal STR loci in eight Indonesian subpopulations. Forensic Sci Int Genet. 2016 Jan;20:45-52. doi: 10.1016/j.fsigen.2015.09.014. Epub 2015 Oct 3.
- Relaxed Observance of Traditional Marriage Rules Allows Social Connectivity without Loss of Genetic Diversity. Mol Biol Evol. 2015 Sep;32(9):2254-62. doi: 10.1093/molbev/msv102. Epub 2015 May 12.
- Toward male individualization with rapidly mutating y-chromosomal short tandem repeats. Hum Mutat. 2014 Aug;35(8):1021-32. doi: 10.1002/humu.22599. Epub 2014 Jul 14.
- Uncoupling protein 2 gene polymorphisms are associated with obesity. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2012 Apr 25;11:41. doi: 10.1186/1475-2840-11-41.
- Genetic continuity across a deeply divergent linguistic contact zone in North Maluku, Indonesia. BMC Genet. 2011 Nov 18;12:100. doi: 10.1186/1471-2156-12-100.
- Association of beta3-adrenergic receptor (ADRB3) Trp64Arg gene polymorphism with obesity and metabolic syndrome in the Balinese: a pilot study. BMC Res Notes. 2011 May 27;4:167. doi: 10.1186/1756-0500-4-167.
- Update in molecular genetics: mitochondrial energy transduction disorders. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 1995;26 Suppl 1:155-61.
- Phenotypic expression of mtDNA heteroplasmy in the skeletal muscle of patients with oculomyopathy: defect in mitochondrial protein synthesis. J Neurol Sci. 1993 Jul;117(1-2):83-91.