Dengue Research Unit
Dengue fever is one of the most common mosquito-borne viral diseases in the world. The disease is caused by infection of dengue virus and transmitted to humans by the bites of Aedes mosquito vectors. Each year, about 50 million infections occur in approximately 100 countries in the tropics and sub-tropics in the world with the potential for further spread. This disease affects about 2.5 billion people living in South East Asia, the Pacific, and the Americas. Dengue causes variable clinical manifestations, ranging from undifferentiated fever (Dengue fever, DF) to a more severe form of the disease, dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) and dengue shock syndrome (DSS).
Indonesia is a vast archipelago country that regularly affected by the disease. Dengue occurred in all 34 provinces in the country annually and periodic major outbreaks occurred regularly. Despite the endemicity of the disease, currently there is only limited data on the epidemiology of the disease available. Our laboratory investigates the dynamic of the dengue disease in Indonesia, looking at the many aspects of the disease such as the epidemiology, clinical, virology, and immunology. We also have interest on genetics of dengue mosquito vectors, the dengue diagnostics, and vaccine developments. In the vaccine development, we involved in dengue vaccine clinical trial in Indonesia.
The dengue research unit has been actively collaborating with national and international research partners from academics, research institutions, and pharmaceutical companies. Our lab is comply and certified for Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP). GCLP is an international quality system for laboratories which undertake the analysis of samples from clinical trials. In addition, we also participated in international external quality assurance (EQA) program for dengue molecular diagnostics, administered by QCMD, UK.
- Isolation and complete genome analysis of neurotropic dengue virus serotype 3 from the cerebrospinal fluid of an encephalitis patient. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2018 Jan 12;12(1):e0006198. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0006198.
- Molecular characterization of dengue viruses isolated from patients in Central Java, Indonesia. J Infect Public Health. 2017 Oct 19. pii: S1876-0341(17)30253-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jiph.2017.09.019.
- Chikungunya Detection during Dengue Outbreak in Sumatra, Indonesia: Clinical Manifestations and Virological Profile. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017 Sep 25. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0935.
- Genomic characterization of Zika virus isolated from Indonesia. Virology. 2017 Jul 26;510:248-251. doi: 10.1016/j.virol.2017.07.026.
- Dengue seroprevalence and force of primary infection in a representative population of urban dwelling Indonesian children. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017 Jun 15;11(6):e0005621. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0005621. eCollection 2017 Jun.
- Phylogenetic and evolutionary analyses of dengue viruses isolated in Jakarta, Indonesia. Virus Genes. 2017 Jun 9. doi: 10.1007/s11262-017-1474-7.
- Clinical and virological characteristics of dengue in Surabaya, Indonesia. PLoS One. 2017 Jun 2;12(6):e0178443. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0178443. eCollection 2017.
- Dengue in Bali: Clinical characteristics and genetic diversity of circulating dengue viruses. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017 May 22;11(5):e0005483. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0005483.
- Association of Endothelial Glycocalyx and Tight and Adherens Junctions With Severity of Plasma Leakage in Dengue Infection. J Infect Dis. 2017 Mar 15;215(6):992-999. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jix041.
- Production of recombinant dengue non-structural 1 (NS1) proteins from clinical virus isolates. Protein Expr Purif. 2016 Sep 17. pii: S1046-5928(16)30239-X. doi: 10.1016/j.pep.2016.09.007.
- Dengue vaccine acceptance and willingness to pay. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2017 Apr 3;13(4):786-790. doi: 10.1080/21645515.2016.1259045. Epub 2016 Dec 1.
- Modifiable determinants of attitude towards dengue vaccination among healthy inhabitants of Aceh, Indonesia: Findings from a community-based survey. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2016 Nov;9(11):1115-1122. doi: 10.1016/j.apjtm.2016.07.036. Epub 2016 Oct 22.
- Community Willingness to Participate in a Dengue Study in Aceh Province, Indonesia. PLoS One. 2016 Jul 12;11(7):e0159139. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0159139. eCollection 2016.
- Dengue score: a proposed diagnostic predictor for pleural effusion and/or ascites in adults with dengue infection. BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Jul 8;16(1):322.
- The molecular and clinical features of dengue during outbreak in Jambi, Indonesia in 2015. Pathog Glob Health. 2016 May 23:1-11.
- Dengue vaccine acceptance and associated factors in Indonesia: A community-based cross-sectional survey in Aceh. Vaccine. 2016 May 18. pii: S0264-410X(16)30316-4. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2016.05.026.
- Isolation of Zika Virus from Febrile Patient, Indonesia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016 May;22(5):924-925. doi: 10.3201/eid2205.151915.
- Concurrent infections of dengue viruses serotype 2 and 3 in patient with severe dengue from Jakarta, Indonesia. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2016 Feb;9(2):134-40. doi: 10.1016/j.apjtm.2016.01.013. Epub 2016 Jan 13.
- Genomic analysis and growth characteristic of dengue viruses from Makassar, Indonesia. Infect Genet Evol. 2015 Mar 14. pii: S1567-1348(15)00090-8. doi: 10.1016/j.meegid.2015.03.006.
- Performance of Simplexa dengue molecular assay compared to conventional and SYBR green RT-PCR for detection of dengue infection in Indonesia. PLoS One. 2014 Aug 7;9(8):e103815. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0103815. eCollection 2014.
- Molecular surveillance of Dengue in Sukabumi, West Java province, Indonesia. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2014 Jun 11;8(6):733-41. doi: 10.3855/jidc.3959.
- Growth characteristics and cytokine/chemokine induction profiles of dengue viruses in various cell lines. Acta Virol. 2014;58(1):20-7.
- Performance of commercial dengue NS1 ELISA and molecular analysis of NS1 gene of dengue viruses obtained during surveillance in Indonesia. BMC Infect Dis. 2013 Dec 29;13:611. doi: 10.1186/1471-2334-13-611.
- Molecular surveillance of dengue in Semarang, Indonesia revealed the circulation of an old genotype of dengue virus serotype-1. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013 Aug 8;7(8):e2354. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0002354. eCollection 2013.
- Heterogeneity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in Makassar, Indonesia. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 Nov;16(11):1441-8. doi: 10.5588/ijtld.12.0055.