Emerging Virus Research Unit
Emerging Virus Research Unit (EVRU) is the newly established Virology Unit at Eijkman Institute focusing on studies of endemic and emerging viruses circulating in the Indonesian Archipelago. Inaugurated in 2012, it is supported by the Indonesian Government, US-CDC, and USAID.
Main Aims of the unit:
- To do reserach and to provide data on prevalence of new and emerging viruses (etiology of disease) specifically those with pandemic risk in the Indonesian Archipelago.
- To develop and improve diagnostic capabilities for emerging viruses.
EVRU is a laboratory level 2 unit, consisting of 4 different compartments to support its platforms. The first compartment is reagent preparation room, which is dedicated for making master mix and store all free nucleic acid reagents. The second is extraction and amplification room. The third is virus isolation room, the section for propagating the virus using spesific cell lines. The fourth room is anter-room, where we do electrophoresis. EVRU is also equipped with Next Generation Sequencing (Ion Torrent) machine which is located in the sequencing unit.
- Isolation and complete genome analysis of neurotropic dengue virus serotype 3 from the cerebrospinal fluid of an encephalitis patient. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2018 Jan 12;12(1):e0006198. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0006198.
- Chikungunya Detection during Dengue Outbreak in Sumatra, Indonesia: Clinical Manifestations and Virological Profile. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017 Sep 25. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0935.
- Genomic characterization of Zika virus isolated from Indonesia. Virology. 2017 Jul 26;510:248-251. doi: 10.1016/j.virol.2017.07.026.
- Chloroquine efficacy for Plasmodium vivax in Myanmar in populations with high genetic diversity and moderate parasite gene flow. Malar J. 2017 Jul 10;16(1):281. doi: 10.1186/s12936-017-1912-y.
- Chikungunya fever outbreak identified in North Bali, Indonesia. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2017 Jul 1;111(7):325-327. doi: 10.1093/trstmh/trx054.
- Occurrence of measles genotype D8 during a 2014 outbreak in Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan, Indonesia. Int J Infect Dis. 2017 Jan;54:1-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2016.10.029. Epub 2016 Nov 4.
- Detection and identification of coxsackievirus B3 from sera of an Indonesian patient with undifferentiated febrile illness. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2016 Aug 31;10(8):880-3. doi: 10.3855/jidc.7573.
- Isolation of Zika Virus from Febrile Patient, Indonesia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016 May;22(5):924-925. doi: 10.3201/eid2205.151915.
- West Nile virus documented in Indonesia from acute febrile illness specimens. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2014 Feb;90(2):260-2. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.13-0445. Epub 2014 Jan 13.