Malaria and Vector Resistance Laboratory
Throughout the ages, malaria has been a major problem in many countries around the world. Although this disease is both preventable and treatable, the constant evolution of malaria parasites and their mosquito vector poses an ever present challenge in our battle against this devastating disease. Insecticide, vaccine and drug development are in a constant tight race against the rise of insecticide and drug resistance. An all-rounded strategy is crucial in order to achieve effective malaria control and elimination.
The research foci of the Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Resistance in Eijkman Institute are:
- Molecular mechanisms underlying Plasmodium resistance to antimalarial drugs
- Antimalarial drug discovery through natural product
- Molecular mechanisms underlying mosquitoes’ resistance to insecticides
- Molecular taxonomy of Anopheles mosquitoes
- New approach in malaria control
- Asih, Puji Budi Setia (Research Fellow, Laboratory Head)
- Dewayanti, Farahana (Research Assistant)
- Hidayati, Anggi Puspa Nur (Senior Research Assistant)
- Permana, Dendi Hadi (Research Assistant)
- Rachmawati, Nia (Research Assistant)
- Risandi, Rifqi (Research Assistant)
- Suradi, (Senior Malaria Microscopist)
- Syafruddin, Din (Principal Research Fellow)
- Syahrani, Lepa (Research Assistant)
- Zubaedah, Siti (Senior Entomologist)
- Host attraction and biting behaviour of Anopheles mosquitoes in South Halmahera, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2017 Aug 2;16(1):310. doi: 10.1186/s12936-017-1950-5.
- Evaluation of antiplasmodial properties of a cyanobacterium, Spirulina platensis and its mechanism of action.
Nat Prod Res. 2017 Aug 2:1-4. doi: 10.1080/14786419.2017.1360880.
- Performance of four HRP-2/pLDH combination rapid diagnostic tests and field microscopy as screening tests for malaria in pregnancy in Indonesia: a cross-sectional study.
Malar J. 2015 Oct 29;14(1):420. doi: 10.1186/s12936-015-0943-5.
- Within-Host Selection of Drug Resistance in a Mouse Model of Repeated Incomplete Malaria Treatment: Comparison between Atovaquone and Pyrimethamine.
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015 Oct 26;60(1):258-63. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00538-15.
- Non-invasive surveillance for Plasmodium in reservoir macaque species.
Malar J. 2015 Oct 12;14:404. doi: 10.1186/s12936-015-0857-2.
- Distribution of Plasmodium vivax pvdhfr and pvdhps alleles and their association with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine treatment outcomes in Indonesia.
Malar J. 2015 Sep 22;14(1):365. doi: 10.1186/s12936-015-0903-0.
- Impact of a spatial repellent on malaria incidence in two villages in Sumba, Indonesia.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2014 Dec;91(6):1079-87. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.13-0735. Epub 2014 Oct 13.
- The baseline distribution of malaria in the initial phase of elimination in Sabang Municipality, Aceh Province, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2012 Aug 21;11:291. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-11-291.
- Existence of the rdl mutant alleles among the anopheles malaria vector in Indonesia.
Malar J. 2012 Feb 25;11:57. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-11-57.
- Malaria in pregnancy in the Asia-Pacific region.
Lancet Infect Dis. 2012 Jan;12(1):75-88. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(11)70315-2.
- Phenotyping clinical resistance to chloroquine in Plasmodium vivax in northeastern Papua, Indonesia.
Int J Parasitol Drugs Drug Resist. 2011 Oct 5;1(1):28-32. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpddr.2011.08.001. eCollection 2011 Dec.
- Detection of 1014F kdr mutation in four major Anopheline malaria vectors in Indonesia.
Malar J. 2010 Nov 8;9:315. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-9-315.
- Seasonal distribution of anti-malarial drug resistance alleles on the island of Sumba, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2009 Sep 29;8:222. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-8-222.
- Efficacy of artemisinin-based combination therapy for treatment of persons with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in West Sumba District, East Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia, and genotypic profiles of the parasite.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009 Jun;80(6):914-8.
- Seasonal prevalence of malaria in West Sumba district, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2009 Jan 9;8:8. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-8-8.
- Malaria prevalence in Nias District, North Sumatra Province, Indonesia.
Malar J. 2007 Aug 30;6:116.
- Malaria in Wanokaka and Loli sub-districts, West Sumba District, East Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006 May;74(5):733-7.
- Antimalarial activity of cassane- and norcassane-type diterpenes from Caesalpinia crista and their structure-activity relationship.
Biol Pharm Bull. 2006 May;29(5):1050-2.
- Cassane- and norcassane-type diterpenes from Caesalpinia crista of Indonesia and their antimalarial activity against the growth of Plasmodium falciparum.
J Nat Prod. 2005 May;68(5):706-10.
- Molecular epidemiology of Plasmodium falciparum resistance to antimalarial drugs in Indonesia.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005 Feb;72(2):174-81.
- Frequency distribution of antimalarial drug-resistant alleles among isolates of Plasmodium falciparum in Purworejo district, Central Java Province, Indonesia.
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003 Dec;69(6):614-20.
- Molecular basis of antimalarial drug resistance in Indonesia.
Adv Exp Med Biol. 2003;531:103-15.
- Mutations in the cytochrome b gene of Plasmodium berghei conferring resistance to atovaquone.
Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1999 Nov 30;104(2):185-94.